Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mailroom!

I don't know about you, but at my house I feel like we're always fighting a sea of incoming mail.  It ends up in little piles all over the house - the coffee table, the desk in the office, and the hutch in the kitchen are just a few of the temporary (ok, semi-permanent) "homes" our mail finds.  Well, that's all over!  The mail is being evicted from these "homes"!  In fact, I would say it's moving uptown!  I just finished creating a "mail sorting station" and I almost can't wait to check the mail on Monday!  Here's how I did it --- so SIMPLE!!

First, I started with five IKEA FLYT magazine files that I purchased on Amazon for $6.99. 
 
Next, I selected some cute, graphic scrapbook paper.  I decided to go with all black and white paper.  These files will live on my newly chartreuse kitchen hutch so I thought the black and white would really pop against the chartreuse.  I measured the files and cute the scrapbook paper to fit.  Then I used Mod Podge to cover the files with the scrapbook paper.

 
Finally, I added chalkboard labels to each file and my new "mail sorting station" is complete!
 
 
 
** Update ** 
If you know me, you know I'm always updating my d├ęcor.  I recently gave these magazine files a quick update using some fabric scraps I had on hand.  You know what that means, it was FREE!  I removed the scrapbook paper so it wouldn't show through the new fabric.  Then I traced the shape of the magazine files onto my fabric and cut it to fit (I cut the fabric about 3/4" larger than the file so I could fold it into the file for a more finished look).  Next, I applied the fabric to the files using my trusty Mod Podge.  For the curved sides, I cut slits 3/4" apart so the fabric would fold into the curve).  In their previous life, I had the short side of the magazine files facing out but I decided to turn them around this time to hide all the papers for a more polished look.  Finally, I found these great free printable labels from mom 4 real, customized them with my text, printed them and converted them to stickers using my Xyron Creative Station.